Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Week 8 - Provo

shout-outs.
Dad-Glad you went to the Nats game with Chris and the boys!!!! How awesome that they won!!
Mom-Please tell Sis. Patty Lee I say thank you & love you lots!! I'm SO thrilled that you were able to go and be there for Kyra at the temple, what a blessing:) Also thanks for the last and final dear elder, I got it right in time!
Hunter-HUGE thank you for the drop-off at the mission office!! so lucky. Hope you continue to enjoy the busy college life and social aspect of BYU. LIVE IT UP!!!! good luck with all of your classes and such:)
Clark-thanks for the letter!! glad you are also enjoying college life. welcome to the real world, my friend:) I'm so thrilled that you were able to meet/see sis.La Porte!! LOVE HER:) My spanish is coming along, its hard to follow what people are saying since everyone talks so fast/in a different accent. 
Rex-how's wrestling going? you never wrote me back...love you anyway:) It's really hot here and whenever I see someone without a shirt I think of you, my awesome/crazy brother REX!
Mckay-Are you enjoying the summer with trying to read all of the Harry Potter series/finishing up?? getting nervous to start MIDDLE SCHOOL?!? weird how old your getting!! or rather...how old I'm getting:)
Grant-How's my favorite "big guy?" are you still straight up crazy? Hope your summer has been fun!! Try not to do anything too crazy/drive everyone else crazy, ok? And help mom with chores!!
Brittany Rosa-Hey in answer to your dearelder, you can just send the wedding invite to my address here at the Utah Provo Mission.
Oakton Ward-a big hello from Betty Stoker, I saw her in her ward yesterday!! Crazy small world in UT.
Aunt Mary-glad I saw you on your walk/our run!! Keep rockin' the overalls. love you!!


Phew. Let the typing war begin!!! 
MTC peace-out. My last night at the MTC was great! One of our teachers, Hermano Roden had a us do a wonderful activity in which we practiced contacting in a very comfortable and easy way. And we had a testimony meeting, just with our small district of 4 hermanas Y 2 Elderes. I helped all the Hnas. pack up and weigh luggage, since their flights were super early in the morning. Oh also at the main lobby area, I met Elder Don R. Clarke, one of the 70. not too shabby! I'm thankful for the 7 weeks that I was able to learn and grow at the MTC, I really learned how to teach with the spirit and why its so crucial to do so. And what matters most. Its an incredible atmosphere and it was fun seeing so many people from school/Jacob Lake/NoVA. Plus the bagels were amazing.
Utah Provo Mission. You should be receiving an envelope that the mission office is sending this week! I wrote a letter to you all on my very first night at the mission home, after we met the President. On Tuesday, we met President and Sis. McCune and they had a nice dinner for us at their house. I was so grateful for that taco salad!!!! And being in a HOUSE!! Never going to take that for granted again:) He kinda looks like George Allen and reminds me a little of Uncle Mark Sykes. He showed us a huge map of the mission and all of the different areas. Many of the areas have and the rest of the mission will eventually have ipads and iphones. some info on the mission:
-1400 wards in the mission, 9 zones, 161 stakes, 3 temples in mission
-lots of less-active teaching.
-we'll be a big part of the 4th of July parade. Its the biggest 4th of July parade in the world, 300,000 people!! (LEGIT). HUGE missionary work opportunity with the community.
I had a interview with the president and he was very keen on welcoming me to the mission, won't just be treated as someone here temporarily and waiting for the VISA. I was also sure to make him know that I'm grateful to be here & apart of this mission! The Lord wants me here and there is work and people that are here for me. 

Slate Canyon. I'm here serving with 2 companions, Hermana Cordova Y Hermana Gonzales. Both haven't been here too long and are wonderful companions!! We cover 3 wards and went to 2 yesterday. My district is wonderful, we're all going bowling at BYU today!! Our district leader tries to do things to promote unity, like eating lunch together. 

Weather. This week, it got all the way up to 110! Pretty crazy. My 1st day tracting was 103 and got worse throughout the week. Keeping hydrated! 
Investigatores. so many!! I'll give a short run-down of each since I'm running out of time...
Bernice. 15, date for baptism, but has been kinda flaky lately. still need to teach Ley de Castidad.

Sasha.Bernice's mom. married to someone in the Dominican Republic, so have to get that figured out...

Lorena & Esmeralda. Haven't met yet, but will soon. In vaca in LA right now. 

Bolivar. haven't met yet, we've tried to see him several times but he hasn't answered the door..need to teach le de castidad.

Adolfo. Trying to get him to keep his commitment with reading the scriptures. has some sort of disease, his skin and muscles are damaged and his hand is always swollen . always going to Dr. appts.   Cynthia.3 kids, kicked out husband. Shakey relationship with mom. Has a testimony, but its certainly being tested! Her family was involved in a REALLY bad car accident and her niece is still in the hospital, in a comma. Her family is blaming it on the fact that she's meeting with us:( noooooo!!




Members. We've had dinner at a few member's houses and they're all really nice. One with a woman from Lima, Peru!! Last night, we had dinner with Maryoury and she was HYSTERICAL!! Maura would have died laughing while she was telling us all the many times that she somehow got out of a ticket from the Police. From Venezuela and made an amazing meal for us! This week, we helped Hermana Munoz move out of her apt. It was fun cleaning and organizing! 

Menos Activos. We're working with a lot right now and struggling with different things. Lizet, Pretel Family, Maria Sanchez, Sandra, Bonnie, Myra, Val, and Shalice. Lizet is just super busy with going back to school and juggling the kids too. Maria has been through a LOT and has 3 kids, single-parent. She recently had to move and hasn't found a place to live yet...Sandra's husband isn't really supportive...but we still visited them and invited them to church. Her son is old enough to get baptized, so trying to start to talk with him about preparing for that. Shalice is an incredible single-parent of a daughter that just got surgery so they have to stay at home for the next few weeks while her tendons heal. 

Teaching/Spanish. Its been rough, but just trying to do my best!! Everyone talks pretty fast, so just trying to keep up!! I got a massive headache just trying to keep up when this woman Bonnie was talking with us. We have to give a talk in a few weeks in the ward, so I should probably start writing it. Something incredible that I've really been able to see is that although I really don't know these people very well, I already love them and care a LOT about them. I feel the love that Heavenly Father has for them. Its just so incredible.

Randoms. We live with members-the Andersens. They're in their 70's, I'd guess. The sink, toilet, and shower are this dark olive green. Saw aunt mary!! and betty stoker.

I KNOW that God lives and loves us individually. He sent his son to die for us that we can utilize the atonement and one day return to live with our Father in heaven. I know that His church was restored on the earth again through the prophet Joseph Smith, a true prophet called of God. I am thankful for this church and gospel so much, it always brings me joy when I have the privilege of sharing it with others. 

Happy 4th of July, hope you have a BLAST!

Con Mucho Amor,

Hermana Rachel Anne Boody

No comments:

Post a Comment