Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week 12


Familia,

Now it feels like I`m really getting settled into Peru/South American life. Got my lost suitcase at the airport on Thursday & it was like opening a Christmas present. Shoes! And sheets! And t-shirts for working out. It was oh so nice! Ate some cow stomach this week, fun times. And changed over some American dollars for soles. Getting into the swing of things! 

After District and Zone meeting on Tuesday, we saw some of the parade for Peru’s day of Independence! It was awesome, all these little school kids dressed in uniform and their teachers trying to make sure that they don’t take off their little hats and walk straight. And flags all over the city, I love it! 
 
I think our pensoniesta doesn’t like to cook very much...got half an avocado with a piece of cake for breakfast. haha. but she’s in Lima for a few days, so my comp and I have enjoyed being able to cook for ourselves! We even whipped up some CREPES (one of my absolute FAVORITE breakfasts) yesterday morning. Randomly put some flour, eggs, evap. milk, and butter together and thankfully it turned out. 

Julio. Man I love Julio! We washed his clothes earlier this week & wow-I’ve never seen clothes so well used! Now he has nice smelling ropa to wear to church. He didn’t attend yesterday, so we had to push his baptismal date back:( but he started reading the BOM while we were cleaning his clothes & certainly has come a long way! also found out yesterday in ward council that 2 of his family members are members, just less-active...I made up a little rap/song with him about church. Diez Domingo, Domingo Diez. Its got a nice alliteration to it. Also found out this week that he’s 81! Not 70ish something. He cracks me up! 
 
Josefina. Phew. Super hard to teach, cause she can’t see/hear/understand very well. We started teaching with loads of big pictures and using reaaaaally simple language. It’s gotten a bit better. Ready for baptism. Has a huge desire to follow Christ! I love her so much, especially when she always gives me tons of kisses after we teach. Tryin`to get some BOM CD`s for her to listen to or get some members from the ward to come over and read to her. Heart of pure gold!

Juan Y Carlos. Brothers. They both came to church yesterday. Juan is 8 and kind of reminds me of Grant & Carlos is 13 and reminds me of Rex. Juan had his baptismal interview, after taking a bathroom break for a few mins. haha. And Carlos had to leave right after 1st hour, so will have his interview later this week. Good boys, just trying to get the parents to help them with family prayer and being more encouraging with attending church. Parents aren’t married, but dad’s interested in getting baptized, just doesn’t wanna get married...haha. 

There’s also Gloria, Edit, Maria, Juan Carlos, Marta, Yefferson, Jorge, Sandra, and Jose Luis. Just trying to focus on those that are making the most progress. 
 
I have so much respect for one of the young men in the ward we’re working in. We had a NDH (FHE) at his house the other night and wow. So much respect. He’s accompanied SO many sets of missionaries to lessons and always is at church with different activities. Coming from a part-member family and some probs, it just says a lot about his character. Lin is just so wonderful! I’m grateful that the ward and especially the youth have a great example to look up to. Always willing to help out with everything!!!

Our district did another missionary blitz in a different area with the Elders. I was with Hermana Balcaza from Argentina. It was fun to track down references with her and explore a different area of Peru. I’m thinking of adding a space in the key indicators (in our planner) for all the whistles and kissey noises. and gringita. 

3 investigators at church yesterday, wahoo!

I`m happy & doing well. Just trying to do my absolute best. Happy Birthday Dad!! Love you tons, hope you have a wonderful day.

Con mucho Amor,
Hermana Boody 






No comments:

Post a Comment