Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Week 11

Buenos tardes from Trujillo!
Trujillo. The city is crazy, but wonderful-filled with LOADS of taxis, venders, and Little kids in school uniforms. I really love and am enjoying all the craziness and hustle of Peru! This week was filled with LOTS of whisteling, kissey noises, double-takes,  etc. ugh these people just stare at me! And wave. It was kinda funny at first, but now kinda annoying…like this one guy first tried to give me a kiss on the cheek and I jumped back, and stuck out my hand for a handshake like 10 ft away. Then he took my hand and tried to kiss it like twice….weird. funny, but weird. And asked where in the Estados Unidos I was from like 5 times. Yep. Lots of interesting people in Peru. And they always try and use the few words of phrases that they know in English, which is always entertaining. Its just frustrating when we´re tracting, and they won´t get past the fact that I´m an American, even when we are talking about where the chapel is. Lots of stares. Haha anyway…
Companion. I have so much respect and love for Hna. Huaman! Santa Vaca. Only member in her family. Her dad passed away when she was 12 and her brother also a few years ago. 24 and was only baptized just a few years ago at 18. Such a kind person, always really giving and caring about others. I´ve already learned a lot from her and feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful trainer. We walk suuper fast, to be able to meet our goal for contacting and lessons and sometimes I make up songs in Spanish, when it’s a longer distance from house to house.
Julio. One of our investigators, about 75. We begged to help clean up his little room and oh boy it was quite the service opportuinity! Huuuge spider webs hanging down from the ceiling and no dustpan, so we just covered our hands with bags to pick up trash and bugs. It felt really nice to clean up a little. He´s funny. Next time, we GOTTA clean his clothes.
Josefina. Around the same age. She´s always just sitting outside her home, chilling out in a plastic lawn chair. Have taught her a few times, but it’s a challenge to determine what she really knows, cause its hard for her to hear and internalize concepts…I just love her tho! She always gives me lots of cheek-kissesJ so cute!
Mammatina. Our pensoniesta. We taught her how to make French toast this week! Not too shabby, esp. with some peanut butter I had in my suitcase. Really thankful for the dog tho…we snuck some of our dinner under the table. I felt bad, but I really didn´t want to eat it. Or hurt her feelings. Perfect solution. Except he doesn´t like fried eggs.
Ward. They host a missionary night every week, with a lesson and game. Kinda like FHE. The youth feel comfortable to invite their friends and its pretty fun. Ward council is good and the different auxiliaries have good ideas to help us meet the needs of our investigators. I love the members and all are very friendly and genuinely loving. I have come to know and really love the Aguilar family, Cecilia snuck us some cake to our residence last night. Such kind people! And it was quite delicious.
District. We had interviews with the President this week, on his birthday! Yummy cake, which was sweet.literally. Sometimes we all play futbol for morning sport at the chapel. MY comp accidentally kicked the ball REALLY hard and it hit me right in the face. Oh man. It hurt like ANYTHING. Trying to improve my skills.and lookout for incoming moving objects. Also, all the missionaries in our district came to our area and we gave them a map and list of names and refernces to check out. A missionary work blitz! It was very effective and nice, since our area is really big! Also today, we went to the Museo Huacas de Moche together and it was awesome!!! Great visit for my 2nd p-day. Next week we´re gonna hit up this huge souivineer place, so please let me know and start thinking of some things you´d like from peru! I have some ideas, but anything specific?? Dad- I´m gonna try to get you a badge from a corrupt officer…just have to go on the right day apparently.
Sunday. We took a combi all the way to Carlos´house, waited about 15 mins for him to find his other shoe, then last minute, he decided not to come to church. And we were already far in the area. Then we raced to Julio´s and he didn´t want to walk all the way to the chapel with us, even though we offered to get a taxi….ugh it was frustrating! But Josefina came!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo, we had asked 2 members to walk with her to church and I was so happy to see her, she´s seriously so precious. We had to take a moto, since we ourselves were running pretty late from Carlos and Julio´s houses. Missed the sacramentL killing me Julio!! And maria wasn´t home. Again. C´mon people, 10am is NOT that early.
Overall, its finally settling in. The culture, people, everything. A little crazy, but good. The work is hard, but wonderful! We teach people from all different paths of life and each have difficulties and struggles. Taught on dirt floors with an illiterate woman who works really hard to support her 2 children, outside on a plastic stool to a family with children running around in dirt and trash-yet have HUGE smiles on their dirty faces, and sitting on couches covered with plastic shower curtain covering the couches and GIANT pictures of the Savior and the Virgin Mary on their ceiling. Everyone is a child of God and has a desire to follow Christ, but just needs a little encouraging…and a guide to strengthen that relationship.
I love having the privilege of teaching a family, being an instrument in His hands, so that they may know they can be together forever. I always show them a picture of our family (its in my pocket planner) and bear testimony of how much God loves us and that we can be with our families and loved ones forever-because of the Atonement. I hope you are having a great time in Florida, jump some waves for me;) and study hard, hunt & clark!!!
Always much love,
Hermana Boody


No comments:

Post a Comment