Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Week 26


Good luck with all of your football games rex!! How hilarious that dad`s been announcing the games. probably embarrassing you a little bit, but just enjoy it! my companion and I have been praying for your eye to heal, so I hope its a little better! I never have time to respond to what mom tells me about, but always really appreciate all the little tid-bits! 
 
I always have about a thousand thoughts during the week of things to write in these emails, but of course when I actually sit down in whatever sketchy internet cafe-my mind goes blank and I frantically flip thru pages in my planner, trying to remember what happened during the week. They go by waaaay too fast! but at the same time fast enough. hope that made sense...and right after writing, I always think of things that I forgot to write about, but that's just how it goes.

Something hilarious that I forgot to write about Eduardo. Before his baptism, when we were teaching about fasting, he was seriously really worried and scared to go without food or water for 2 meals. But on the other hand, his mom was really happy and excited about it cause he`s kinda chubs. It was just hysterical to see his face-sheer panic, thinking about not eating dinner or breakfast-let alone both. Also his mom`s really happy that we walk with him to church, well and his 80 yr old grandmother Transito too. she always gets a smile on her face and talks about how he can loose weight. Kinda sad, but peruvians are just so open with everything, so I don`t think its offensive or hurtful to him. 

Luis Galvez, 56,their neighbor and our newest favorite taxi driver is doing well! Really trying for him to get to know people in the ward, cause he`s kinda lonely and needs good relationships so that he will want to come to activities and priesthood. Pablo, a recent convert, accompanied us and is a good friend to him which is awesome. Tonight, we`re gonna have a family home evening with a family in the ward and with the pudding from the package I got, I`m gonna whip up that type of dessert that looks like the ground or whatever-oreos crushed as dirt, choco pudding, and then worms at the top. I really hope they`ll find it oh so satisfying as I will. haha really craving some American desserts:)

We`ve been really trying to visit a lot of the less-active families in the ward and I think Eduardo`s baptism was our blessing for doing so. We`ve had mtngs about and have been talking a lot about la obra de salvacion and in ward council talking about how we can come together and work more to re-activate and rescue people who have stopped coming to church for one reason or another. I know that Heavenly Father cares about each and every one of His children and when we take the time to visit and serve each one, He blesses us with the desire of my heart, to bring souls unto Christ and receive the blessings of repentance and making eternal covenants with God. 

I think dad will get a kick outta this-so we were looking high and low for an address that was on a reference card and I saw a herd of cops and asked them where the street was. They had this awesome map that's a little more updated than ours, so I begged for a copy that we could use for all these reference cards. We ended up walking, as they drove, to make a copy at a libreria. then one of them wrote his personal cell phone number at the top in case we needed his help for anything. ahhh why does that always happen?? people being nice and helpful, but then do something to just make it weird...not weird, but just enough to feel hit on. eh whatevs, cops are my buds here on these streets of downtown Trujillo.

Its kinda funny how other people have their routines, like we do. There`s a widow that I see practically every morning that goes walking while I run. She`s really nice and then I talked with the bishop`s wife for a little bit as she was jogging in the morning too. Then, one of our contacts said hi as he was running in the morning too. Its just funny, always the same french dude on the same spot of the sidewalk every morning that says bonjour, same lady selling bread, and similar faces that we greet. 

I`m working with hna. marler to earn my YW bee (an addition to personal progress) to add to my medallion. Reading the Book of Mormon cover to cover and doing 40 hrs. of service. which is absolutely perfect for the mission! WOW-I`m in alma 14 right now and am just FEASTING on the adventures of Alma and Amulek, teaching others about Jesus Christ. It`s just so incredible. I`ve come to absolutely LOVE the hour of personal study in the mornings and always wish I had longer when it ends. During companionship study, we`ve been reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish and its helped with getting a better pronunciation and verbs. We`re in 1 Nephi 11. I`ll probably start reading it on my own after finishing it in English for the bee. I can write in all of the words that I don`t know and it`ll become almost like a dictionary for the scriptures. 

I had a testimony of it before my mission, but now more than ever-I KNOW that the Book of Mormon truly is the word of God. I have learned so much about Christ and the Atonement and how to develop greater faith, especially with how to teach others about how they can repent and truly feel joy in their lives. Now I understand why people attack the Book of Mormon so much, because they understand that its all or nothing. It`s either all true, the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ thru a prophet called of God and the scriptures that were translated by the power of the Holy Ghost, or its all false. By using our agency, we can each KNOW that its true by asking in faith and acting on the answer that we receive. Moroni`s promise!! 

Also, lately I`ve been studying a lot about the plan of salvation and it fascinates me! A guy that we met, well a dad of one of our investigators, was saying that he`s gonna be bored in heaven without work or what are we gonna eat? haha my companion and I looked at each other and thought it was kinda funny. I mean I feel like if you were living with God again AND your family forever, the last thing on your mind would be work or eating. but eh that's just me:) 
 
Oh and the random guy off the street that I told you about who blessed me or something in El Bosque that random sunday, saw him again this week! probably doesn`t even remember.it`s be funny if I somehow see him in every area that I serve in Peru. Random traveling religious guy who blesses people AND who can fix a leaky faucet or broken door hinge. Now THAT'S impressive.

We sanded and painted a latex primer for a less-active family that live right next to their daughter and son-in-law. Its also the same family that we`re having fhe with tonight. They`re great! 
 
I`m in a small group to sing at the huuuuuge Christmas program and we`ve been practicing every Monday at the mission home. how strange that its been warming up here, yet its November. ahh where are the leaves changing color and pumpkin EVERYTHING?!? so strange. Halloween was fun to see the little peruvian kids dress up and we certainly did some knocking! but the closest thing we got to candy was paneton which is a cakey-sort of bread with raisins and colored candies. 
 
In the same district, but the zone changed a little bit. our former district leader finished his mission and our zone used to be just one district, but now we split into 2 which is really nice since we all have to stick together to go anywhere on Pday outside of our area and to email. 


Rockin` the area book

No comments:

Post a Comment