Monday, May 20, 2013

Provo MTC - Week 2



 
Can I just say that its weird to think that I've only been gone for 2 weeks ish? I'm living in such a time warp, it feel like MUCH longer!! I've been thinking about the MTC and the best explanation/analogy that I can come up with is that it reminds me of Hogwarts. We each got an awesome letter in the mail and were called to a specific mission, or house at Hogwarts. We spend HOURS preparing and buying our magic wands/owl and then arrive via plane/boat across a lake with Hagrid until we arrive at the famous castle. We are taught by teachers who genuinely want us to succeed and try to teach us all they know to help us speak the language, or spells. Also each meal time is like a feast at the big assembly hall in Hogwarts. Basically I live with a bunch of wizards. I swear the staircases keep changing on us! jajaja.

Since my very first day, I have been thinking of how others will perceive the MTC (Clark, Kyra, Megan). To be honest-the first few days were ROUGH. But now, I've grown to genuinely love and really enjoy being here. I've seen TONS of people I know; Alyssa Cox, Nick Moffit, Heather Farnsworth, Keri Ralls, Jennifer Allred, Daphne Munafo, Sally Franz, and a bunch of students from my mission prep class at BYUI. How wonderful! I've gotten really close with Sister Franz, we usually spend a few minutes at night talking and laughing about funny missionary things/the MTC. LOVE her!!! We've been a great source of comfort, encouragement, and strength to each other.

On Monday, after I emailed-my companion and I taught Eduardo. We both made it a goal to ONLY speak in spanish, but I had doubt weather we could really do it or not...especially with knowing such a limited amount of words/phrases/conjugation. We prayed before and had faith that we would be helped and know what to say. WOAH. It went really well and I KNOW that the Holy Ghost was vital with our discussion. I felt the spirit and I know Eduardo did too. After closing our lesson with a prayer, we literally jumped for joy and screamed with excitement that our goal was accomplished with His help. That was seriously a miracle. At one part during the discussion, he basically asked what if he didn't repent/what was the point of repentance? Something lit up within me and I became so animated. I explained that repentance is how we utilize the atonement. The Savior gave His life and suffered everything so we can become clean. If we do not repent/do it vainly, then it would be mocking the Savior's ultimate sacrifice that He made for us. I was so happy. It was the first time that I really felt like a missionary. THIS is what its all about, bringing people to the atonement of Jesus Christ and developing faith in His plan for us to return to His presence. It was such an INCREDIBLE feeling:) SO HAPPY!!!!

My district has 4 hermanas and 8 elders. We've made some goals to strengthen our unity and improve our diligence and work as disciples of the Savior. Sometimes I feel like we're babysitting the elders...haha 18 year-old young men sure teach pacience. I love them!! A family away from my family:) Our poor District Leader, Elder Fitzen is always sneezing and coughing. Trust me by saying that we ALL want him to get better. haha I gave him some of my medicine for cold/decongestant and people in my district already know I have a good stash of drugs. haha. 

Also earlier in the week at the beginning of one of our classes, my comp and I shared why we decided to serve. It was great to remember why I'm here and how important this work really is. Our zone only has 2 districts now that some missionaries are leaving this week. Our branch presidency is super nice and their wives stop by our room sometimes just to say hi/see how we're doing. So sweet. Also yesterday I wrote my first talk in spanish, just in case I was called. Thankfully, they picked on some of the missionaries that are leaving to give the talks. I've already been to 2 departing district's testimony meetings and its awesome to hear how much they love the missionaries in their district and how close they've become. I already know that I will miss all of the missionaries in my 41A district very much, but it'll be bittersweet to leave. At 9:30 when we return to our residence, each Elder shakes our hand and I say nochey noche. jajaja. Kinda like nighty night in spanish? idk. I think its funny.
 
For Tuesday devotional, Elder Russell M. Nelson came and spoke to us. It was awesome to be reminded of why family history work is so important and that our ancestry is praying for us to help them with doing their work. I was in the choir that sang before he and his wife spoke. LOVE being in the choir!!! He also talked about how its important to stay connected with our converts and I thought of Hunter and the Evans family. I know it means the WORLD to them that you were there for their sealing and marriage:) You go, Hunter!! We've also learned a lot about the differences between having a testimony and being TRULY converted.

From Bednar's "character of Christ" talk, whenever the mission gets tough-remember this is NOT about you. Its meant to be a hard change and adjustment. Like a refiner's fire.

A BIG thank you to the Oakton ward YW for the awesome package, that was so nice!!!! Also muchos gracias for the dried mangoes-haha still a favorite snack of mine:) 
And thank you dear eldering me the talk:) Aaaand thank you pappa bear for the very kind card for Mother's Day, I really appreciate it:) If its alright with you all, I'll probably use snail mail to reply to the dear elders, since I already have TONS I want to email you about:)

The Language-I've been trying to help others in my district with understanding different verbs/sentence structure/conjugation/pronouns. Its easy to get really frustrated and discouraged with not being able to understand spanish. One of our teachers taught us the "head, shoulders, knees, and toes" song in spanish and it was so fun! I'm working on my pronunciation and trying to really understand the spanish that people use when they answer back with the discussions-its tough! Right now my district is trying to memorize the 1st vision and PMG purpose in spanish. Believe it or now-some of my HS spanish is slowly coming back to remembrance. Just gotta have faith and trust the Lord! Also my english is progressively getting worse and worse.haha
 
Sundays are my FAVORITE day of the week!!!! I've never quite understood the purpose and importance of Relief Society until now. I'm SO grateful to be apart of it and be a member of the Church. How blessed and lucky we are!! Now spread it to the world:) We sang the new "Sisters of Zion" song by Janice Kapp Perry and it was a nice reminder of last week when she visited and some of my thoughts on mother's day/my first Sunday away:)
 
A few random highlights of the week....

-Strawberries in the cafeteria. Ahhh made me so happy:)
-I put hello kitty stickers on everyone's name badge in my district. haha the Elders love it.
-Every Friday, we do service at the MTC. This week, Hna. Downs and I were assigned to clean the cleaning closets in 7M again. Except this time when we were cleaning the sink in the closet, about half of the mop bucket water dumped out when we were trying to dump it out, so the floor was SUPER soapy. we just cracked up. It was such a ridiculously hilarious situation. We just used a BUNCH of rags to clean it up and the floor was mighty clean after we were done. too good. service with a smile












I KNOW this is where I need and want to be at this time in my life. Everyday, I learn more and more of what it really means to be a disciple of the Savior Jesus Christ. Missionary work is so incredible and I consider it such a blessing and privilege to be out here serving. What a wonderful opportunity! I know that God lives and loves us so much. He sent His son to die and atone for our sins. Through the atonement, we can repent and become clean again. I am so grateful for my family and think of you all very often. Thank you for everything, I have so much love in my heart for all those around me. I genuinely CANNOT WAIT to be an instrument in HIS hands and share the restored gospel that we have on the earth today.

MUCHO AMOR,
Hermana Rachel Anne Boody

No comments:

Post a Comment