Monday, May 13, 2013

My Adventure Begins


MI FAMILIA!!!!

It'll probably be easier telling about each day, so here it goes!

WED- I had Cafe Rio for lunch with Margaret, Bennion, Johnathan & Jacob Erickson, Courtney Doolittle, and Jonathan (her fiance). It was SO great seeing everyone!!! Aunt Margaret & Bennion dropped me off at the MTC afterwards and there was a nice sister that helped me with my bags who's headed to France on her mission. I checked in and got my official name badge!!! Then we picked up my big bag of Spanish books/materials from the bookstore. We had about 2 minutes to drop off my luggage in the residence before reporting to the classroom. Then I met the missionaries and teacher over our district-41A!! We asked each other intro questions in Spanish and got to know where each missionary was from, how many in their family, where they're going on their mission,etc. Then we had the MTC Presidency Welcome. Some important things that were said: focus on learning the language of the spirit, and the language itself will come in time. The 2 keys for success: Get started (with missionary work) and don't stop! And the importance and responsibility of having a companion. My mission will be a WOW experience!! Give everything of yourself: work, sweat, time, energy, focus, etc. Be respectful and shake hands...be helpful and mindful. "WHAT E'ER THOU ART, ACT WELL THY PART." And then we had a teaching experience with all of the new missionaries that arrived. It was interesting to see how each missionary had a different approach/thought process with how to introduce people to the gospel. Afterwards, we met our Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders. After I shook hands with Elder Richards and told him my name-he cracked up and walked away....haha nice to meet you too? We introduced ourself to the group and they explained that their role is to look after, help, and love each one of us. That night, I broke out the DELICIOUS chocolate chip cookies Marilyn Copans gave me and tried unpacking a bit before lights out.


THURS-My first full day as an official full-time missionary!! During personal study, I decided to start the Book of Mormon again. My goal is to finish it before I leave for Peru. Anyone else want to join me? We went to a workshop about what our purpose is, going along with Preach My Gospel. There's a computer program "TALL" that we use with headphones to learn the language that we use for about an hour each day. It's nice because you can hear, write, and see the different Spanish words/phrases. We met the branch president and some other leaders in the branch. One of the counselors used to be Christian Delis' mission president in Eugene-small world!!
 
 
FRI-My companion, Hermana Downs, and I did our service in 8M. We cleaned the 2 cleaning closets and the hand rails on both stairwells. They're s tons of germs at the MTC! During gym time, I ran with Hermana Evans from the District while our companions walked behind us. Up to that point, that was my favorite moment/day at the MTC so far. It felt SO good/refreshing to be outside and exercising!!! I want to go for a loooooong run so bad:( We taught our first "investigator", Eduardo. It was a hard and challenging discussion, especially since our Spanish is VERY limited. But I asked about what happened the last time he met with the missionaries and he said he felt good/different. We explained that we call that the Holy Ghost-Espiritu Santo. I challenged him to read the 1st chapter of Nephi and pray about it. Also, I said the opening prayer for the discussion. I know how to pray in Spanish now!!! Also today was the 1st day that our mailbox was set up, so a HUGE thank you for the many dear elders!!!! It was so great hearing from friends and family:)
 

SAT-The second time meeting with Eduardo went better this time-we spoke less english than before. Haha. This time we talked about the apostate and restoration and the love that Heavenly Father has for his children. We learned how to bear our testimony in Spanish, so we closed with that. During gym time, I went on a temporary exchange with Hermana Evans and we went running outside around the field across from the MTC. Once again, it was awesome!!! We talked about how the "MTC experience" was so far and our goals for getting better at the language /teaching. I'm really glad we were able to confide in each other and talk about what we were really feeling at this point. In the evening, we went to the departing district's testimony meeting. It was great to hear about how they have changed during the MTC and hear their excitement to take the gospel to the ends of the earth. One of the Elders in my district was really congested and sick, so I gave him some cold meds, Vitamin C, nasal decongestant, and a sleep aid. The next day, he told me it helped TONS! :) thank you again mom for sewing the medicine holder thing!! 

 

SUN-By FAR, the BEST and my favorite day at the MTC!!!! Singing hymns with all the sisters in Relief Society was INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Janice Kapp Perry was there and we sang many of her hymns, along with a new one that she barely just wrote. We were officially the first people to ever sing it, which was awesome! What a wonderful woman and example:) Being Mother's Day and my first Sunday away from home, crying was inevitable. I miss you TONS mom & owe you a real-deal letter this week. After church, we sang "God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again" in Spanish to the missionaries that have flights this week. Afterwards, we had our Sunday walk to the Provo temple. What great weather!!! My companion and I participated in the choir and had a wonderful time singing "Come Thou Font." The Sunday night devotional was WOW! so incredible. I wish I had better adjectives to use...haha I'll start learning them in Spanish. Then we watched Bednar's "Character of Christ." It was seriously EXACTLY what I needed to hear. PLEASE find the talk and read it on lds.org. And if you could, copy & paste the talk in dearelder.com so I can have it to read again here.


MON-My district went to the temple together & did an endownment session. What an incredible place to be with such incredible people!!!! Hermana Downs & I were then able to get stuff done-clean our room, laundry, journal, and now emailing home!!! HOORAY HOORAY!! In an hour, we need to start planning what we want to talk to Eduardo about today. Time for the Plan of Salvation:)  

Basically each day honestly feels like 3 crammed together, so its hard to remember when something happened. Haha. Hope separating it by day was a good idea:) Let me know what you think would be best/how you want me to email home about the mission. It's already been a challenging experience, but this is where I want to be!!! I know Heavenly Father loves me and trusts me to do His work:) But the most important thing to remember is that right now, its NOT about me at all!! I've eaten a few slices of humble pie:) Speaking of which, the Graham Canyon ice cream is life-changing. I love being a missionary and am excited to learn more about teaching the gospel and seeing changes in people's lives. I love you all SO very much and hope all is well:) Sorry this email isn't super lengthy, hope the pics show up.

Also I've ran into TONS of people that I know- I'll include names in a letter home. TELL EVERYONE i LOVE THEM PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE
 
Mucho Amor,

Hermana Boody

No comments:

Post a Comment